Climbing Wall Instructor Course
January 20-February 3, 2023
Thank you for attending the CWA's virtual Climbing Wall Instructor training. This course has been designed to offer you the same training as our in-person certifications. This page will be your online hub
throughout the course.
throughout the course.
There are no grace periods given for the below due dates.
- January 20: Application materials uploaded
- 10:00 am MT, January 23: Self Directed learning completed
- 10:00 am MT, January 23: Written review due
- 10:00 am MT - 12:00 pm, January 23: Mandatory group discussion (Bouldering, Top Rope and Lead Candidates)
- Janaury 25: Video requirement due (Video specific to certification sought)
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm MT, January 25: Mandatory group discussion (Top Rope and Lead Candidates Only)
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm MT, January 27: Mandatory group discussion (Lead Candidates Only)
- Janaury 27: Endorsement Quizzes Due
- Janaury 27-31: Individual exit interviews
Due by January 20
Upload Climbing Video
Due by January 25th
Further instructions will be given in the January 23rd virtual meeting
- Demonstrate Your Falling Technique (Bouldering Only Candidates)
- Demonstrate your Instructional Skills:
- Bouldering Candidates: Providing an orientation
- Top Rope Candidates: How to belay
- Lead Candidates: Identifying backclip, z-clip, and then correcting it
- Demonstrate Your Climbing Ability:
- Start on a challenging 5.8
- Partner Check
- Tying In
- Demonstrate Your Belay Ability Using Both Active and Passive Device:
- Preparing the rope
- Setting up your belay device
- The partner check
- Belay technique
- Best to have a friend video you so they can move with your movement.
- Set up your camera or have your camera person stand no further than 10 feet from where you are when climbing, belaying or teaching.
- Ensure the video shot includes clear image of your harness, and hands when belaying.
- You can submit video clips or an edited video no longer than 10 minutes.
Upload Your Climbing Video Here
Due January 23
Attend the Discussions
Bouldering Instructor Candidates: 10:00 am MT, Jan 23
Top Rope Candidates: 10:00 am MT, Jan 23 & 25
Lead Candidates: 10:00 am MT, Jan 23, 25, & 27
Be prepared to discuss your experiences with climbers, customers, and colleagues. Sharing our experiences helps to reinforce the learning outcomes for the CWI Course.