Climbing Wall Instructor Course
September 16 thru October 1, 2022
There are no grace periods given for the below due dates.
- September 16: Application materials uploaded
- 10:00 am MT, September 19: Self Directed learning completed
- 10:00 am MT, September 19: Written review due
- 10:00 am MT - 12:00 pm, September 19: Mandatory group discussion
- September 21: Climbing and belay video due
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm MT, September 21: Mandatory group discussion
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm MT, September 23: Mandatory group discussion (Lead Candidates Only)
- September 24 - Endorsement Quizzes Due
- September 26 - September 30: Individual exit interviews
Download Course Materials
Download these materials to familiarize yourself with the CWI program and the indoor climbing industry's recommended risk management guidance. These documents will help you in your day to day work and help answer some of the questions on the written test for this course.
Due by September 16
Upload Climbing Video
Due by September 21st
How to shoot your video:
- Best to have a friend video you so they can move with your movement.
- Set up your camera or have your camera person stand no further than 10 feet from where you are when climbing or belaying.
- Ensure the video shot includes clear image of your harness, and hands when belaying.
- You can submit video clips or an edited video no longer than 10 minutes.
- Demonstrate your climbing ability:
- Pick a challenging 5.8 Top Rope or 5.7 Lead route
- Tying in
- Partner check
- Demonstrate your belay ability using both an active and passive device:
- Preparing the rope
- Setting up your belay device (passive)
- The partner check
- Belay technique, including catching a fall and lowering
Due September 19
Attend the Discussions
10:00 am MT, Sept 19
10:00 am MT, Sept 21
10:00 am MT, Sept 23
Be prepared to discuss your experiences with climbers, customers, and colleagues. Sharing our experiences helps to reinforce the learning outcomes for the CWI Course.
Due September 24
After completing each group discussion please complete the appropriate uiz below. All quizzes are due prior to scheduling your exit interview.