Climbing Wall Instructor Course
March 21st through April 1st 2022
*There are no grace periods given for the below due dates
June 20th Application materials uploaded
June 21st Climbing and belay video due
June 21st Self directed learning completed
June 22nd 10am MT - Attend Mandatory group discussion
June 24th 10am MT - Attend Mandatory group discussion
March; Teaching video due
June 24th Written Review completed
June 27th-July 1st Individual exit interviews
Use these materials to familiarize yourself with the CWI program and the indoor climbing industry's recomended risk management guidance. These documents will help you in your day to day work and help answer some of the questions on the written test for this course.
Due by June 20th
Upload Climbing Video
Due by June 21st
Your climbing video should be no longer than 10 minutes and provide enough information to evaluate your climbing and belaying ability. In this video you will climb first and then you will belay as your partner climbs. You will need to belay with both a passive and an assisted belay device, climb your chosen route without falling, and catch a fall when your partner is climbing. You should move through the tie in, partner check, climbing, and belaying steps efficiently.
- Position the camera far enough back to see the belayer and at least the first three clips of a lead climb, or the first 15 feet or 5 meters of a top rope climb. You do not need to move the camera or provide closeups.
- Demonstrate your climbing ability:
- Pick a challenging 5.8 Top Rope or 5.7 Lead route
- Tying in
- Partner check
- Demonstrate your belay ability using both an active and passive device:
- Preparing the rope
- Setting up your belay device
- The partner check
- Belay technique, including catching a fall and lowering
Due June 21st
Attend the Discussions
June 22nd 10am MT
June 24th 10am MT
Be prepared to discuss your experiences with climbers, customers, and colleagues. Sharing our experiences helps to reinforce the learning outcomes for the CWI Course.
Due June 24th