Climbing Wall Instructor Certification Course
The CWA is proud to launch our first virtual Climbing Wall Instructor Certification Course.
This course will be delivered 100% online and will require you to review instruction material online, take a virtual exam, join an online discussion group with the other course participants, and submit videos of you climbing and teaching. You can register for either a top rope or a combination top rope and lead endorsement.
Make sure that you meet all of the prerequisites listed below before enrolling. Failure to meet any of the prerequisites will prevent you from receiving a certification. After enrolling in this course you will be given access to the CWI student manual, CWI Policy documents, and the online course webpage. Make sure that you have access to a climbing wall and a video recording device (such as a smart phone) prior to registering.
You can add an optional lead endorsement to your certification to recieve the highest level of CWI certification. If you select the optional lead endorsement you will only need to provide a video of you lead climbing and belaying.
The course will open on June 14th and close on June 28th. After the course is closed you will schedule a 15 minute exit interview prior to receiving your certification. Certificates will be provided as PDFs by email following successful completion of the course.
*There are no grace periods given for the below due dates
- June 14th Application materials uploaded
- June 14th Climbing and belay video due
- June 21st Written exam due
- June 22nd 10am MT - Mandatory group discussion
- June 28th Teaching video due
- July 12th-16th Individual exit interviews
Confirm you meet the Prerequisites:
- 18 years of age by the conclusion of the course. (Note: persons less than 18 years of age may audit the course and will receive a letter of participation.)
- Top rope endorsement - Climb 5.8 top rope demonstrating calm, confidence, and good position without falls.
- Lead endorsement - climb 5.7 lead demonstrating calm, confidence, and good position without z-clips, back clips, or falls.
- Demonstrate proper care and use of equipment.
- The candidate can demonstrate proficient belay technique with BOTH a passive and assisted braking belay device.
- Can attend/meet all the CWI certification course elements at the deadlines provided.
Cancelation Policy - registration can be deferred to the next available course up to the belay/climbing video submission date deadline. If you require a change to your registration, please contact Garnet Moore.
A calendar invite will be sent to your email with a link to join the webinar.
Event Date and Time: June 21, 10am MT