Sept 23 CWI Virtual Course
CWI Level 1, 2 and/or 3 Certification Virtual Course
All courses will be delivered 100% online.
The CWI program builds its content over time so you will go through each level to earn your desired level of certification:
You can go through these courses individually, or enroll in a bundled course that will guide you through the full certification process
- Level 1 - Introduction to risk management and client experience and communication, monitoring climbing activities, and offering bouldering orientations.
- Level 2 - Risk management application, instructional skills and auto belay orientations, assessing competency in belay skills.
- Level 3 - Risk management planning and intervention, teaching and coaching, instructional planning, assessing sound judgment, and lead climbing and belay skills.
Designed for folks with no previous CWI certification, these courses offer either the CWI Level 1 and Level 2 or the CWI Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 course content.
Check the prerequisites required for the level of certification for which you wish to be assessed. These are listed on the right.
Review the refund policy at the end of the page.
Steps to earn your Certification
There are no grace periods given for the below assignments.
- Complete the online content required for the certification before the virtual calls.
- Complete the course with a score of at least 80%
- Attend 1-2 virtual meetings with your Provider (Level 1 has 1 mandatory call. Levels 2 and 3 have two mandatory calls).
- Upload the mandatory video submission demonstrating the climbing skills techniques requested for the Level of certification being pursued.
- Refund request 30 days in advance of the start date, 95% of total course cost is given.
- Refund request 14 days in advance of the start date, 75% of the total course cost is given.
- Refund requests within 14 days of the start date, are reviewed and at the discretion of the organization.
- Once you start the online course, a refund is no longer an option.
CWI Level 1
- 16 years of age or older for CWI Level 1 only
- Ability to climb
CWI Level 2
- 18 years of age or older
- 20 top rope climbing outings
- Ability to top rope climb 5.8 and belay with an assistant braking and passive belay device
- Enrolled in or completed CWA CWI Level 1 Certification
CWI Level 3
- 18 years of age or older
- 40 lead climbing outings
- Ability to lead climb 5.9 and lead belay with an assistant braking and passive belay device
- Enrolled in or completed CWA CWI Level 2 Certification
- July 20 course registration opens
- Mandatory attendance at 2 of the listed classroom times.
- Course virtual classroom (2 hours) meeting options:
- August 16, 10 AM Mountain Time
- August 23, 10 AM Mountain Time
- September 6, 10 AM Mountain Time
- September 12, 10 AM Mountain Time
- September 6 Video uploads due
- When course work complete Individual Exit interviews of 15 min are scheduled.