Virtual Bouldering Instructor Certification
Level 1 CWI Certification
The CWA has launched our new Bouldering Instructor Certification designed to train and certify individuals instructing bouldering, conducting orientations, and monitoring bouldering activities. This certification is part of our new and improved Virtual Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI) Certification Course, which now consists of three self-led certifications that applicants must complete. The three certifications must be completed in sequential order:
- Level 1, Boulder Instructor Certification; (You are currently viewing this option)
- Level 2, Top Rope Certification
- Level 3, Lead Instructor Certification
Applicants have the option to take the three certification levels one at a time or can register for all three levels at once, provided they complete them in the appropriate order. You can learn more about the requirements for three certification levels and register below.
If you have started your CWI Instructor Certification prior to these changes to the course and have questions about where in the process you should begin, please contact the CWA staff.
This course will be delivered 100% online.
The CWI Certification Course reviews information pertinent for indoor climbing wall instructors including facility and industry practices, orientations, facility and equipment inspections, care and use, professionalism, risk management, and elements key to teaching and learning.
If this course is right for you, follow these steps.
STEP 1: Make sure that you meet both of the prerequisites listed below before enrolling.
- You must be at least 16 years of age by the conclusion of the course.
- You must have previous bouldering experience.
STEP 2: Register for the appropriate level of certification and upload the online application. Instruction materials are now available to you.
STEP 3: Check your registration confirmation email or log into your CWA account and look for events on the left side to access your event page.
STEP 4: Prepare your videos. Submit videos of you climbing and belaying.
STEP 5: Participate in the self-directed video and review online.
STEP 6: Participate in one virtual learning call. Complete the homework.
STEP 7: Schedule and attend your exit interview with an instructor.
After enrolling in this course you will be given access to:
- CWI student manual and additional course tools
- CWI Policy documents and assessment tool
- Online course webpage
The course will open on January 20th and close on January 31st.
Bookings for exit interviews will open on January 20th.
Certificates will be provided as PDFs by email following the successful completion of the course.
There are no grace periods given for the below due dates.
- January 20th: Application materials uploaded
- 10 am MT, January 23: Self-direct learning and review completed
- 10 am MT January 23: Mandatory group discussion
- January 25: Required video uploaded
- January 27: Bouldering Certification Quiz due
- January 27- February 3: Exit Interview
Note: Times indicated are Mountain Time (MT).
- Refund request 30 in advance of the start date, 95% of total course cost is given.
- Refund request 14 in advance of the start date, 75% of the total course cost is given.
- Refund requests within 14 days of the start date, are reviewed and at the discretion of the organization.
Refund requests are directed to Heather@cwapro.org
10:00 am MT - 12:00 pm, January 23: Mandatory group discussion